jmeter-user mailing list archives

From <Argyrios.Tza...@rbs.com>
Subject JDBC Sampler - Running out of memory
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:35:33 GMT
Hello all,

I am using JMeter 2.9 with the PerfMon. I also use Java 7.

My goal is to load test a database, so I use a JDBC Datasource and a JDBC Request.
I also use the PerfMon Metrics Collector listener, which provides me with JMX metrics.
The PerfMon Metrics requires the use of a server agent, which is a small program that runs
on the server whose JMX metrics you need to collect.

The problem is that the query I am testing is returning a lot of data (millions of rows).
As a result, I get a Java Heap out of memory error.

I read some guides about how to prevent running out of memory.
I don't have any other listeners. The only one is the PerfMon Metrics one, which I need to
keep enabled. It works differently than the others and disabling it will not return any results.
I also increased the heap size for JMeter to 1GB, but I don't think I can increase it further
(JMeter won't start).

I am suspecting that the JDBC Sampler is actually going through the resultset and doing something
with the results of the query.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/trunk/src/protocol/jdbc/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/jdbc/AbstractJDBCTestElement.java

In my case, I would like to discard the query results. I am just interested in the JMX metrics
which are collected from the PerfMon add-on (Heap memory, garbage collection times, etc.)

Am I correct in my assumption?
Am I missing something here?

Many thanks,

Argyrios Tzakas
Developer
Markets & International Banking
RBS
Bankside 3, 90-100 Southwark Street, London SE1 0SW, UK
Office: +44 2076787551

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. The
Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. is authorised and regulated by the
De Nederlandsche Bank and has its seat at Amsterdam, the
Netherlands, and is registered in the Commercial Register under
number 33002587. Registered Office: Gustav Mahlerlaan 350,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. and
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc are authorised to act as agent for each
other in certain jurisdictions.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily
secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland
N.V. including its affiliates ("RBS group") does not accept responsibility
for changes made to this message after it was sent. For the protection
of RBS group and its clients and customers, and in compliance with
regulatory requirements, the contents of both incoming and outgoing
e-mail communications, which could include proprietary information and
Non-Public Personal Information, may be read by authorised persons
within RBS group other than the intended recipient(s).

viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted
by the RBS group in this regard and the recipient should carry out such
virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Visit our website at www.rbs.com