jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Zippy Zeppoli <zippyzepp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: complex javascript actions in jmeter load test
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 01:29:14 GMT
Proxy won't work for clicking on JavaScript.
Selenium will, however, Selenium isn't designed for performance testing,
with the exception of BrowserMob, who has perfected it.

If JMeter had some kind of (good) Selenium integration then it might be
able to achieve it.

I think JMeter is a good tool, but it's not built for this kind of work.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM, David Luu <mangaroo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the full feature set of BrowserMob, but JMeter can do
> what you want, easy or hard, depending on your needs.
>
> If all you need is simple record & playback, JMeter proxy is best option.
> Just record w/ proxy, it generates a basic test plan that you can save to
> file and run w/ X threads to generate load, etc.
>
> But that approach will always use the same user, same data in the AJAX
> calls during load generation.
>
> If you need them to be unique & parameterized, that's where it takes some
> work to go in and cleanup the proxy recording w/ paramaterized data,
> response checking (if more than just checking HTTP 200 OKs). And you'll
> find proxy recording generates a lot of unnecessary HTTP requests for HTML,
> CSS, image files that aren't necessary of interest as you're testing the
> AJAX calls, which is where you filter out only the requests of interest and
> only use those in test plan, etc.
>
> I believe this kind of work is needed regardless of what tool you use, some
> tools just make it easier, but there's still work to do. Not just a one
> touch button approach unless all you need is simple record & playback.
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Zippy Zeppoli <zippyzeppoli@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Will probably just buy BrowserMob.
> > Too bad there isn't an open source framework to already do this.
> >
> > Building this is a yak shave, and I need to be testing, not building a
> test
> > harness thats probably going to break on the next release.
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM, David Luu <mangaroo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > JMeter proxy is the most integrated approach, but I find it gives "too
> > much
> > > information", so I tend to use external tools like browser traffic
> > sniffers
> > > (HttpFox, livehttpheaders, ieHttpHeaders) to see what HTTP requests are
> > > made for AJAX calls for just the requests & responses I'm interested
> in,
> > > easier to manage. But that's just my opinion, others might find the
> > JMeter
> > > proxy easier to use.
> > >
> > > Whatever approach you take, you just need to know what HTTP requests
> are
> > > made by the AJAX calls to replicate in JMeter, and parameterize those
> > > requests to take in dynamic/test data as needed, assert appropriate
> > > response data, etc. In this case, WebDriver can be dropped from the
> > > equation, just gives more overhead and lowers scalability in load
> > > generation.

> zippyzeppoli@gmail.com

> > all

is the only