jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which files can be excluded while recording using Proxy?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:58:14 GMT
There are different reasons to to either way. As Flavio pointed out, if you only want to test
the main framework of your site, you would exclude everything except the main page. If you
want to simulate a real user, you would include each embedded resource once per user (under
the assumption that your users will cache those embedded files in their browser once they
fetch the the first time. If you want to exercise your web server, you would get all files
every time.

In our setup we configured our test scripts to only fetch the main page. Then we have a Request
Defaults control that allows us to enable Request All Embedded Resources when we want to add
load to the web servers.

Our setup has web servers that handle the static files (.js, .css, images, movies, etc.),
but that proxy to our application servers for the framework of our pages. So with our scripts
setup the way they are we can easily exercise both the application servers (by disabling the
Request All Embedded Resources), or the web servers (by enabling it).

Also, I personally don't hold much stock in the 'test it like a real user would use it' methodology,
because I've found that I can find quite a bit more defects and issues with the targeted testing
of specific subsystems. For example, when we test so that we add in the embedded resources,
we almost never generate enough load on the application servers to find a problem (especially
problems with load/performance). That's because the data download for the embedded files swamps
our 30GB test LAN and the bottleneck becomes file IO (our stuff is heavily multimedia). But
by leaving out the embedded resources, we can drive enough load on the application servers
to see things like poorly constructed DB queries, and code level performance issues.

My goal in testing is always to find the most bugs in the shortest amount of time as possible.
I've found that stripping each subsystem down and hitting it as directly as possible generally
yields more bugs per hour of testing than trying to do a wholistic test, and it has the benefit
of being easier to maintain the test scripts/procedures as well...

--
Robin D. Wilson
VOICE: 512-777-1861