jmeter-user mailing list archives

From James Fitzsimons <James.Fitzsim...@intergen.co.nz>
Subject Duration Assertion and Retrieve All Embedded resources not working as expected
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:13:26 GMT
Hi all,

We are building a test plan where we are attempting to use a duration assertion to validate
that responses are completing with 2000ms. This works well without the "Retrieve All Embedded
resources from HTML files" option in the HTTP Request Defaults. However if we enable this
option then we get a very large number of failures despite browsing manually shows pages loading
in less than a second. We have included a cache manager to simulate browser caching behaviour
of static resources.

In the duration assertion we have the "Apply to:" option set to "Main sample only". From reading
the documentation it seems that using this setting the duration assertion should only be measuring
the response time of the primary resource (html page) being requested and not all the embedded
resources as well. However, this doesn't match up with what we are seeing in practice. E.g.
the main sample might take only 200ms (looking at browser tools and IIS logs) but the 2000ms
duration assertion still fails.

Is this a bug, a misunderstanding on our part, or have we just not configured the test plan
correctly?

Any thoughts / advice will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
James

James Fitzsimons
Solution Delivery

INTERGEN: LEVEL 7, INTERGEN HOUSE, 126 LAMBTON QUAY. PO BOX 5428, WELLINGTON 6011, NEW ZEALAND.
TEL +64 4 472 2021 FAX +64 4 472 2027 MOB +64 27 273 3328 WWW.INTERGEN.CO.NZ<http://www.intergen.co.nz/>

To catch the latest...
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeamIntergen<http://www.twitter.com/TeamIntergen>
Read our blog: www.intergen.co.nz/blog<http://www.intergen.co.nz/blog>
Find us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/Intergen<http://www.linkedin.com/company/Intergen>

2012 Microsoft Country Partner of the Year - New Zealand
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient: (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way (ii) please let
us know by return e-mail immediately and then destroy the message. Intergen is not responsible
for any changes made to this message and/or any attachments after sending by Intergen.