jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Shmuel Krakower <shmul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tools to measure average concurrent users?
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:18:32 GMT
Just for the record, another option might be to look for the number of
active sessions on your application servers (i.e in tomcat, look for
session jmx metrics).
It has a downside that if you have long session timeout - it will show you
with high number of sessions, so you should understand sessions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have a currently live system,
you would like to define your load test otherwise than by number of active
users.
The other option is to configure the load test to get to a certain amount
of throughput for different actions, this will result with a more close to
real life load test scenario.
i.e. if in the apache logs you can see the amount of homepage views per
minute - you should define your load test to reproduce this behavior, and
so for any other action.

This is how I tend to create my load tests, when possible, I define a
target of throughput per each simulated action and build my load test in a
way which allow me to do so.
Number of active sessions / users / jmeter threads - is also important (for
concurrency), but it is not the only factor to consider.

Shmuel Krakower.
Beatsoo.org - re-use your jmeter scripts for application performance