jmeter-user mailing list archives

From chaitanya bhatt <bhatt.chaita...@gmail.com>
Subject Why does Jmeter have a huge memory footprint?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:40:19 GMT
Group,

I have noticed that Jmeter uses unreasonable amount of memory per thread.
Even if you strip off loggers/result tree etc. you would still see a huge
consumption of memory. I monitored the Jmeter memory heap and tuned the JVM
as much as possible. In spite of this I noticed that the tenured generation
of the heap is always packed with objects of huge size. Lots of classes are
loaded dynamically which is causing high occupancy in perm gen.

I am working on another home grown tool which uses HTTPClient library to
generate load. Using this home grown tool I can generate 4000 instances per
machine (64 bit with 32Gb ram and 16 CPU cores). But Jmeter on the contrary
fails to scale to a mere 1/10th of the target user load.

This is a frustrating problem which has been overlooked for a long time.

Can something be done about this?

Thanks
Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://performancecompetence.com