jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Stott, Charlie" <CSt...@tnsi.com>
Subject RE: setup & teardown thread group concurrency
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 01:21:21 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

> > I am finding that the setup thread appears to run concurrently with all the other
thread groups.

> What makes you think that?

I have a pre-processor which stores a value in a property in the setup thread group.

Samples that are processed in setup thread group respect the value of the property, but samples
processed in other thread groups have not got it set yet, although it often becomes set during
the processing of the group.

I understand scope of properties is global.  I also notice that some setup samples process
after samples from non-setup thread group.

I find the behaviour is different depending if I set the consecutive setting in the test plan.

Are properties asynchronous?  That might also explain the behaviour?   I think I need to understand
scope and function much better with regard to properties and variables.

I understand that variables are local to thread group, but is this also true in the case of
setup thread (I assumed it was due to concurrency).  On completion of the setup thread group,
will all variables changes be discarded?  I think I might have assumed that other thread groups
threads were actually started after completion of setup threads, but perhaps they are all
started early, then delayed until setup is complete?

I will try to provide a simple test plan snippet to check my expectations with the group.

> > Is this proper behaviour?

> No.

Thanks particularly for confirming this.  It means I don't mind persevering to work out what
I am doing wrong.

Cheers,
Charlie