jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Lyle <lyle.r...@cubic.com>
Subject Re: exiting with an error return code when Assertion Test fails
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 22:55:13 GMT
No responses, so maybe a little more information would help.

I started out writing a Nagios plugin script that did wget's of our website,
and grep'ing the html for expected results.  By keeping track of cookies, I
was able to log in, query some of my account details, etc.  Both wget and
grep return suitable error codes, so the plugin can return a 0(OK),
1(Warning), or 2(Critical), along with some explanatory text, to Nagios, and
the process works well.

But as our website functional monitoring needs got more involved, I looked
for a better tool, and was pointed to JMeter.

JMeter is certainly better at developing the test using a web proxy, vs
writing the wget calls by hand.  But I don't seem to be able to get an error
return code when running the test on the command line, even though I can see
the Assertion Test fail when run in the GUI.  I suppose I could save the XML
result from the JMeter run and grep it for results.

I've been told that JMeter, JUnit, etc are all meant to work with Maven and
will be equally disappointing for me.  Is JMeter the wrong tool for what I
need?  Any pointers to a better approach.  Can I somehow exit the JMeter
test with an error code when an Assertion Test fails (hope, hope).

Thanks...Lyle