jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Flavio Cysne <flaviocy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load testing a Load Balanced web application
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:40:47 GMT
Some tips on my experience with testing a load balanced web
applications/sites

- Use as many JMeter slave instances as you can, each one in a different
virtual machine (distinct IPs). This can help your load balance
software/hardware to distribute the load more evenly.
- Do not expect the load balancer to do an exact distribution. This may
vary a lot.
- Test all load balancing strategies available, accordingly to your web
application/site requirements.
- Monitoring all machines (JMeter master and slaves, load balancer, target
environment, etc) with a standarized tool will help you to compare/analyze
results.
- If possible, try to warm-up* your target servers** before load testing
them. A load test just after a fresh restart can give you false
negatives/positives.
- Depending on what load balancing strategy you use, you'll have to reset
the load balancer to drop the, let's say, IP route-cache

* hold an average load during several minutes for each application server
** target the load to a specific server IP

Hope it helps.
Flávio Cysne