jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Lloyd <oliver_ll...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Synchronizing Timer and Load Tests
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:50:01 GMT
According to the docs the `Number of simultaneous users to group by` is:

"Number of threads to release at once. Setting it to 0 is equivalent to setting it to the
Number of threads in the thread group".

Therefore, if you want the synch timer to trigger using 100 threads you should set this value
to 100. If there are only 100 threads in the thread group, and if one of these threads stops
because of an error, then it is logical that the timer is never triggered because it will
never see 100 threads running.

What you could try is:

1. Increasing the number of threads in the thread group to, say 110, and keeping the synch
timer set to 100, in the hope that this adds some robustness. (Not ideal.)
or 2. Changing the `Action to be taken after a sampler error` in the thread group to something
like `Start Next Thread Loop`.

Of course, these values depend on the wider context of your test but I would imagine you can
get the effect you need by playing around with them.

On 27 Aug 2012, at 21:35, Brian Devaney wrote:

> I am running into a problem with the Synchronizing Timer in a load test with large numbers
of users.  According to the documentation, if the Number of Simulated Users to Group By is
set to 0, then the timer will wait for the number of thread in the thread group to accumulate
before releasing.  That part is working for me, but the problem I run into is that when I
run the script and any thread generates an error and stops, the whole test comes to a halt
because the timer is looking for 100 threads before releasing and only 99 are present because
of the error.

> Is there any way to set the timer so that it will wait for the total number of running
threads and then release?  I did not see any values that might indicate a running thread count
in the debug values displayed in the Tree View.  Thank you in advance.