jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Analysing the View Result Tree Listener
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:16:00 GMT
My experience with the View Results Tree listener suggest that using it has a big affect on
the performance characteristics of the
test. I noticed 2 things:

1) The test generally runs slower when the View Results Tree listener is collecting sample
results. (I attribute that to the fact
that it is having to write all that data to disk).

2) When you reach a certain point (several thousand samples), the test responses are substantially
altered by the View Results Tree
listener (filling up some buffer somewhere?)...

I would suggest that you use the View Results Tree with some caveats:

1) Don't use it for a load-test, or performance-test scenario, it will interfere with the
accuracy of your results.
2) Use it for 'Errors' recording only (in load/perf tests), since it will log only the responses
that had an error (this is really
helpful in debugging what broke).
3) Use other listeners for tracking the performance and load of your system (the perfmon listener
is handy, and summary results is
useful too).

--
Robin D. Wilson