jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Marcelo Jara <marceloj...@hotmail.com>
Subject Dynamically changing sampler name during test
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:44:14 GMT

Hello! I have a unique (I think) situation here. I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible.
This may not be doable in Jmeter, but here is the requirement:

I have a website and am using the web logs to run performance tests. The weblogs will contain
all the different URLs that customers would normally hit. These can be searches, product pages,
home page hits, etc. The URL of the request will not tell me what page I'm going to since
a user can be redirected to other pages depending on the state of the user and system (data
is always changing). One thing all these pages have in common is a comment in the source which
describes what page I am at.

Example: http://www.mysite.com/c/this/is/an/example/url  can be sent to a search results page.
So the comment on that page will be "page: Search_Results".
Example: http://www.mysite.com/c/this/is/another/example/url can be redirected to the home
page because an error may have occurred in some backend system. The comment on source will
be "page: Home_Page".

The problem I'm running into right now is that since I only have one sampler which is randomly
choosing a URL to hit, the reports will only have the sampler name. What I'm looking for is
an aggregate report that would list the data broken down my the different page types.

I'm currently using LoadRunner for this which we're trying to get rid of. For those with LoadRunner,
I'm achieving this by putting a timer around the request, then parsing out the page name,
and the using a built-in function called lr_set_transaction(name,duration) where I can pass
the page name and response time.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

MJ