jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Strange 'pause' activity during testing
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:54:45 GMT
To debug my issue, I had to strip the JMeter test down to the bare minimum that would still
reproduce the issue. Then I tried to
separate out parts that might affect the issue. In my case, going straight to the Tomcat java
app server (bypassing the Apache web
server 'proxy') eliminated the problem. This allowed me to focus on the Apache config - and
that's when my system admin noticed that
someone had enabled the iptables and ip6tables on the Apache server.

For your problem, the debugging will be much the same - try to isolate the JMeter and server
portions of the test to the bare
minimum, then eliminate parts that might affect the test until you identify the part that
is causing the delay.

Also, just out of curiosity, what sort of network connection are you using for your test?
We had an isolated 1000Mbps switch with a
12Gbps backplane running our tests (so only the test boxes and JMeter were on the network).
Keeping your test traffic isolated from
other network activity is crucial to a reliable (and repeatable) test environment. If you
have a 1Gbps switch, that's probably good
- but even so, if you have strange delays on the communications - make sure you look at the
switch to see if is throwing errors or
running out of bandwidth on the switch backplane.

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development