jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Average times are confusing me...
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:09:21 GMT
On 8 February 2012 20:59, Robin D. Wilson <rwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I created a test case that simply performs a 'POST' to a cgi-bin test script. The
test script simple pauses for 2 seconds, then
> returns a page that is full of useless text.
>
> When I run this on my JMeter 2.6 GUI, I see that the 'average' sample time for this page
(this is the only sampler in the test) is
> ~750ms... BUT I _KNOW_ that each page takes at least 2 seconds to return from the request.
Because I have a 'sleep 2' at the top of
> the page.
>
> So is the 'average' time actually measuring the time it takes to receive the response
(after the response starts), or is it
> measuring the time it takes to receive the response after the request ends (which is
what I really want)?

Neither.
The average is the average of the response (elapsed) times for the
relevant set of results.
The response (elapsed) time is described here:

http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/glossary.html

What do the individual elapsed times show?
[e.g. use Table or Tree View Listener]

Which Listener are you using that shows the average times?