jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timing and looping issue
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:43:05 GMT
On 23 February 2012 01:25, Nirodha Pramod <nirodha@wso2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These values are confusing me.  I gave thread count = 3  ,   time period=
> 300,    loops = 100.
> What I could see was that It initially sent 100 requests, and it halted for
> like 30 or 40 seconds. Then again another 100 requests and again waited,
>  again sent another 100. Even though I gave the time period as 300 seconds
> (5 mins) it completed the tests in less than 3 mins.
>
> My observation is it creates a thread first and loop with that thread
> before starting the other thread. Is this the expected behavior or am I
> missing something. Really appreciate if someone can explain this.

What value did you use for Ramp Up?

That is what determines how long JMeter takes to start all the threads.

If Ramp Up is high enough, each thread can finish all its work before
the next one starts.
Generally that is not what one wants.

If it is too short, it can cause excessive initial load on the server.