jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Ide <flyingrhenqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: For future JMeter enhancements... Folders for Thread Groups...
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 00:35:26 GMT
Does that really buy anything over having separate tests? It seems to me
that it would just increase clutter inside the test.

I've thought about implementing variable scope for include controllers
myself, but that leads you down the load of treating jmeter like a
programming language. That got me to thinking whether I really wanted to
treat jmeter as a programming language. It's kind of the same reason I
don't delve into adding expect/send samplers for ssh connections to the
tool. It's really not in-scope for what jmeter is good at. Sure, you could
shoe-horn that functionality in, but it just doesn't seem like a terribly
good idea.

It seems to me that a best practice for jmeter is to keep your test small,
simple and focused on one piece of functionality. I've used it for pretty
complex functional testing of web applications, and the tests quickly
become very difficult to manage and maintain.

I'm really leaning toward just wanting a robust test library that I can
write tests in with a real programming language for a lot of the functional
testing I'm doing. It really wouldn't take a lot of polish around a cppunit
or junit framework to get me where I really want to be. But that's really
not in the same nieghborhood of jmeter, at all.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com