jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Art OCathain <Art.OCath...@ipl.com>
Subject RE: "PermSize is a scam" comment in jmeter startup command
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:01:29 GMT
OK, thanks for the replies. JMeter still seems to work with a larger value, so now I'm off
memory-leak-hunting.

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Pepperdine [mailto:kirk.pepperdine@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 January 2012 11:26
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: "PermSize is a scam" comment in jmeter startup command

this is too funny.... and yeah, permsize is a wee bit of a scam but sometimes.. it just needs
to be bigger. and, you might have a permspace leak... but for now, ignore the comment and
make it bigger. If it still OOME's on you, then take a look at MAT for diagnosing perm space
leaks.

Regards,
Kirk

On 2012-01-09, at 11:29 AM, Art OCathain wrote:

> The startup script has the following line in it:
>
> # PermSize is a scam. Leave it like this:
> #PERM="-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=64m"
>
> Is there any particular reason for this? (The explanatory link at the beginning of the
script is broken) My tests are running out of perm gen and I want to try increasing this as
a preliminary fix. The tests are using custom samplers written in Java.

> Art

> to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure,
> reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of
> transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then
> delete this email.
>
> Any representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject
> to contract.
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content.
> However, it is essential that the recipient also checks this message
> using commercially available mail scanning and anti-virus software.
> IPL Information Processing Limited accepts no liability for any loss
> or damage resulting from any virus or other dangerous content in this
> message.
>
> IPL Information Processing Limited is registered in England and Wales
> under company registration number 1418818.
> Registration took place at Cardiff on 10 May 1979. IPL Information
> Processing Limited's registered office and normal place of business is
> Eveleigh House, Grove Street, Bath, BA1 5LR, United Kingdom. IPL is
> also registered for Value Added Tax (VAT) under registration number GB
> 601 2931 83.

confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error please notify the sender