jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: http request...passing data set from one http request to another.
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 04:29:48 GMT
I think your Template needs to be: $1$

Also, your regex could be a little more flexible:

	name[^"]*"responseSize"[^"]*value[^"]*"([^"]*)"

This prevents other things in the <input...> from throwing off your regex.
(I've found that when I setup a test case, if I try to make my regular
expressions very flexible, they still work pretty reliably when my code
changes slightly.)

Basically, the above regex assumes that you will have a 'name', followed by
"responseSize" (with the " quotes around it) followed by 'value', with
anything except ", followed by ", followed by the value you want up to the
next "... If you don't put the '>' on the end, then if your code changes to
add some more attributes to the <input ...> your regex will still work (for
example, what if the code changed the input to end with '/>' instead of '>'
- your original regex would stop working, but the more flexible one above
would still work fine). Also, if you don't start your regex with '<input',
your code could add some more attributes _before_ the pattern you are
looking to extract, and the regex will still work for the pattern (for
example, the code might add an 'id="mystyle"', or 'class="inputClass"' which
would break your original regex, but not the one above).

Lastly, for me - the easiest way to test this stuff is to add a 'tree'
listener, capture the page that you are trying to extract with the regex,
and paste the entire page into a regex tool (such as:
http://gskinner.com/RegExr/  or http://regexpal.com/ ). Then paste your
regex pattern into the regex field of the tool, and see what it highlights
(it should highlight the entire regex pattern if the regex is correct). I
find that when my regex patterns don't work - cutting them down to the most
basic pattern and then building them back up to what I need works the best.

There are a couple of risks with very 'flexible' patterns - most
significantly, that the pattern will match more than 1 place in your HTTP
response - so be careful about what you setup as your minimum level of
flexibility.

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development