jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance OpenJDK compared with SunJDK
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:37:18 GMT
If there really is a difference between SunJDK and OpenJDK on the same
system, it could be a bug in OpenJDK that has been fixed in SunJDK.

Oracle tries to apply bug fixes to OpenJDK, but it takes time. It
might be useful to look at JDK bug parade.

As Kirk stated, the code between OpenJDK and SunJDK is basically the
same minus any bug fixes that haven't been applied to openJDK.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Kirk <kirk.pepperdine@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1, these results run counter to my experience. plus, the code used in Linux is same
as that used in Windows. The only difference is with LInux, if there is a high resolution
timer, it will use it. There is no option in Windows. My experience in the differences between
Windows and Linux is that Window 7 thread scheduling is better than it is in Linux and *much*
better than it is in Windows XP. Since JMeter uses loads of threads I suspect that JMeter
puts extra stress on the thread scheduler.

> One last point, Higher loads equates to more timings from more threads so IMHO, your
observation is some what spurious.

> w.r.t Sun JVM and OpenJDK. The source code for Sun's JDK was the open sourced to form
the OpenJDK. There is no difference in the code base between Sun JDK and OpenJDK. I'm not
sure why you're results got worse as you moved to OpenJDK. I can only say that most of the
time there should be a performance win as you move to newer versions of the JDK but sometimes
I see a performance loss. It just depends on what your application is sensitive to what has
been changed.

> Regards,
> Kirk
>
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Deepak Goel wrote:
>
>> @Peter
>>
>> can you please combine your two mails and restate what you are trying
>> to point out. Seems they mean different things:
>>
>> ----------------------
>> Getting currentTimeMillis and nano time has a higher overhead on "linux
>> versus windows"
>>
>> The difference between using currentTimeMillis versus nano time is
>> about 20-30% overhead "regardless of the operating system" or version of
>> JVM.
>> ----------------------
>>
>> Also can you please mention exactly what hardware have you measured
>> your results for?
>>
>> On 12/14/11, Peter Lin <woolfel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'll add a little bit more.
>>>
>>> The difference between using currentTimeMillis versus nano time is
>>> about 20-30% overhead regardless of the operating system or version of
>>> JVM.
>>>
>>> I've seen this first hand with Sun, IBM and JRockit on windows and linux.
>>>
>>> OpenJDK is mostly the same as SunJDK, so there's very little
>>> difference from a performance perspective. the SunJDK usually doesn't
>>> include the experimental stuff that OpenJDK might have.

Server VM