jmeter-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strange 'pause' activity during testing
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:43:27 GMT
On Linux do kill -3 <pid>

Philippe
Http://www.Ubik-Ingenierie.com
On Wednesday, December 14, 2011, Robin D. Wilson <rwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can take a thread dump if someone can tell me how to do it... (Go easy
on
> me - I'm a manager, no longer a coder...)
>
> And you were correct, there are no GCs during the 'stop' period on either
> the tomcat servers, or the JMeter client box.
>
> --
> Robin D. Wilson
> Sr. Director of Web Development
> KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc.
> VOICE: 512-777-1861
> www.KingsIsle.com
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Deepak Shetty [mailto:shettyd@gmail.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:20 PM
> To: JMeter Users List
> Subject: Re: Strange 'pause' activity during testing
>
> I think the original post mentioned that GC was not running.
> can you take a thread dump when there is a pause and see what the threads
> are waiting on?
>
>
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Kirk <kirk.pepperdine@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> might be GC.. me be that JMeter's threads are all hung up in your
>> server doing stuff.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kirk
>> On Dec 14, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Robin D. Wilson wrote:
>>
>> > I have a marginally complicated test case that performs a
'registration'
>> on
>> > my site. It gets the home page, POSTS a form, gets the response,
>> > POSTS another form, gets that response, and then completes. The test
>> > runs fine with 100 threads, and 30000 iterations - IF I don't
>> > "Retrieve All
>> Embedded
>> > Resources from HTML Files". In this mode, I am really testing the
>> throughput
>> > of my 'tomcat' application, not the other elements of my system.
>> > (I'm assuming that the other elements are being retrieved from our
>> > Content
>> Data
>> > Network instead of our main system in this case.)
>> >
>> > If I enable the "Retrieve All Embedded Resources from HTML Files"
>> > flag,
>> and
>> > tune the test down to 10 threads with 3000 total iterations, I
>> > notice a
>> very
>> > strange behavior. The test runs along at a pretty good clip for the
>> > first
>> > ~600 iterations (about 1 min, 25 seconds into the run), and then it
>> > just stops making requests for about 35 seconds. Then, it picks back
>> > up again
>> and
>> > runs for another 1 m 25s, and then stops again for 35 seconds... (NOTE:
>> with
>> > the 10 threads, 3000 total iterations - but with "Retrieve All
>> Embedded..."
>> > disabled - I don't see the 'stop' behavior either - so it isn't
>> > caused by tuning it down...)
>> >
>> > I recently added the "Perfmon Metrics Collector" to the test script,
>> > so I could see if one of the servers was maxed out - but it looks
>> > like all the servers are idle during the 'stop' period. Likewise, I
>> > added the Perfmon
>> for
>> > the "localhost" (running the JMeter test) to see if it was swamped -
>> > but
>> it
>> > too is idle during the 'stop'. I swapped out our network switch (the
>> > test environment is on an isolated network switch) with a _much_
>> > higher
>> capacity
>> > switch - in case there was a network issue, still no change.
>> >
>> > I'm running out of ideas for things to check - so I thought I'd ask
>> > you
>> guys
>> > if you have any suggestions of things I should look at.
>> >
>> > My system consists of:
>> >
>> >       WinXP - running JMeter 2.4.1 - driving the test script in GUI
mode
>> >       Server 1 - running Red Hat Linux, with "Apache (2.2.21)" as
>> > the web server - using AJP Proxy to Server 2
>> >       Server 2 - running Red Hat Linux, with Tomcat 7.0.21 as the
>> > App Server - connecting through Hibernate to Server 3
>> >       Server 3 - running Red Hat Linux with MySQL 5.x as the DB
>> > Server
>> >
>> > All 4 machines are running on a private switched network (32Gbs
>> backplane).
>> >
>> > The requests are downloading about 3MB total (per thread per
>> > iteration)
>> over
>> > 4 main URL requests, and 30+ 'Retrieve All Embedded' requests.
>> >
>> > At first I thought it was the network - but the new switch seemed to
>> > deny that thought (the old switch had a much slower backplane).
>> > Also, I'm
>> having
>> > no trouble collecting the PerfMon data during the 'stop' period - so
>> > the network is still functioning just fine...
>> > Then I thought it might be garbage collection on the tomcat - but I
>> watched
>> > the gc.log - and it doesn't do any GCs during the 'stop' period.
>> > Then I thought it might be the garbage > > - To unsubscribe, e-mail:
user-unsubscribe@jmeter.apache.org
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@jmeter.apache.org
>> >
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@jmeter.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@jmeter.apache.org
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@jmeter.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@jmeter.apache.org
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message