jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Mathieu Seillier <stie...@gmail.com>
Subject Setting nb threads / ramp-up period / loop count, for a long simulation
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:59:04 GMT
Hello,

I would like some clarification about the setup for my test plan.
First of all, I explain quickly the behavior of my system :
- Each user of the system performs operations on his station (heavy client)
- One operation for one user includes data entry on the station and 5
requests to some web services of my system
- so in my Jmeter script, my test plan contains 5 SOAP requests, and before
each requests I have added 60sec timers, to simulate the work of a user on
his station.
- A complete operation for a user then takes about 5 minutes (1 min before
each web service request).
My system must support (max load) :
- Up to 40,000 transactions / day
- 1 day = 8 hours, so up to 5,000 operations / hour (no load peak, it is
estimated that the operations are almost evenly distributed over the day)
- About 500 simultaneous users (the number of users remains almost constant
all day)
- so, it gives 10 transactions per user per hour.

For the number of threads, it's easy, it must equal 500 because it
corresponds to the users of my system.
On the other side, for the Ramp-up period, as I understand it's the time to
reach the max number of users.
In my case, the nb of users is almost the same all day, does that mean I
have to put "1" for the ramp-up period ?
Also how can I simulate a test day during 8 hours? Is the scheduler (with
start time and end time) useful for that ?
How do I set my script to set up 10 operations per user per hour ?

Thank you for your help
stieuma