jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not updating in DB
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:33:37 GMT
Sigh.
This means that your test didnt work. It also means your test script is not
a very good one (i.e. when things dont work you dont come to know they
didnt work). This usually means you didnt create (good)assertions for your
samplers and usually also means you did a record -replay without looking at
what was recorded and what got replayed.

So the common causes are
a. Your application doesn't think you are logged in (so either your login
failed or you didnt add a cookie manager or you didnt pass session id
correctly).
b. Your application uses some parameters that are either dynamically named
or have values that change everytime and you didnt parameterise your test
script. To fix this you would need to first know what these parameters are
which needs you to understand what is being sent by the browser.
Alternately if you record the exact same script again , if some of the
values change from the previous script (or you record with a different
user) then you know which parameters are dynamic
c. You made a mistake and didnt pass in some parameters , or mistyped some
variable names or some url or missed a step or something. This needs you to
compare the browser request/response with jmeter's view results tree.

All of which are detected soon if you add good response assertions. When
you login , if your app returns a welcome username! or "sorry login failed"
check for that so that if it fails you know it,. if running a sampler that
creates something , and it gives some id that got created , assert that.
this way you know as soon as some sampler fails. You can disable some
assertions when you are sure your test works - but initially approach it as
if you were writing a functional test and assert everything you can.
Assertions are specific to your application and only you can know that.

regards
deepak