jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Nico Kruger <nico.kru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing sockets (file descriptors) between test samples, using jruby as a scripting language
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:06:59 GMT
Thanks for the very helpful and quick response.

On 12 October 2011 17:30, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2011 16:03, Nico Kruger <nico.kruger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there
>> ...SNIP....
>
> No, the BSF samples currently each use their own BSF Manager and
> interpreter - it is not currently shared.
>
> Same for JSR223 currently.
>
> It's only the BeanShell sampler that re-uses the interpreter.

Could you perhaps elaborate on the difference betweens JSR223 and BSF?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each, because functionally
they look pretty similair for the untrained eye. In fact, I was
definitely confused about the differences between the three - I was
under the impression that BeanShell is just a different "language" you
choose inside the BSF sampler.

Is it sufficient to say that, at the moment, the BeanShell sampler is
the more advanced/mature of the three?

Are the different scripting samplers going to be unified in this
regard in the future?

> Work-rounds:
> - use BeanShell

I would like it if we could get away with jRuby instead of switching
to BeanShell. We have a lot of already existing jRuby code that
excercises the system from the outside which we use in cucumber-jvm
for example that I would like to re-use.

> - create and manage the interpreter yourself - if you use the
> interpreter to create an interpreter rather than a socket, it may be
> possible to invoke the saved interpreter.

Interesting idea, will have a look at this.

> Or perhaps the TCP Sampler would be a more suitable base.

Another good idea, will I be able to access the TCP sampler from a
scripting sampler?

Again, thanks for your insights.