jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Emulating a browsers resource download patterns
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:30:07 GMT
>From the release note for 2.5.1
>Additional known bugs: Version 2.5 introduced a concurrent download
>feature for embedded HTML resources. Unfortunately this may result in
>corrupted downloads or other errors (bugs 51918[1] and 51919[2]). We
>will fix these bugs as soon as possible; meanwhile the feature should
>not be used.

> But the HTTP Request Sampler only parses out about 1/5th of the resources
on the page,
There are some circumstances in which this is possible(other than bugs!) .
e.g. Background Images referred to in CSS files (Jmeter will download
resources for a page , but not resources within the resources like CSS files
which refer to images). Dynamically added resources (from AJAX calls or
javascript) wont work either - As always JMeter is not a browser. You might
need to put in a feature request in bugzilla if you can identify patterns
within your page that the embedded resource parser isnt picking up.

The problem with the type of results you want actually depend on multiple
questions -
Which browser? Which setting on the browser? (e.g. IE which controls how
resources are cached)? When is a page considered loaded - especially when
you account for DHTML rich/AJAX applications?
And is it worth it (for e.g. if you use a CDN it probably isnt).
And if you still really want to know its probably to use browser driven
tools like selenium (or selenium grid) to find out the answer - or selenium
+ jmeter where jmeter generates the load you want and a single selenium
instance can browse the site and record page times ).

Using JMeter would need you to estimate this answer (for e.g. if you get
values for each individual resources then using firebug and the network tab
you can figure out the time for page load).

regards
deepak