jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Shmuel Krakower <shmul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About Constant Timer / Constant Throughtput Timer
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:59:48 GMT
Hi,
What I'm doing is calculating it like this:

If I want a specific Sampler/iteration to be executed in a certain
frequency, for example 6000 Samples/iterations per Minute and supposed we
set 100 threads, put a timer on the thread group / sampler and calculate the
timer like this:
timer = 6000 requests / 60 seconds / 100 threads = 1 second

in this case - I set the timer to constant 500 milliseconds and random 1000.

The main problem with this calculation is that it does not consider the
response time of the sample itself - so this formula is only correct if the
response time is 0.
If you want it to be more accurate, you will have to subtract the average
response time from the result.

There is another solution for this - implemented by HP Load Runner, which is
also relevant to another discussion on the JMeter Users mailing list just
running: "Flaw in how JMeter runs threads..."

Load Runner enables you to run the same load without being dependent on the
response time - so each iteration for each thread will start in a fixed
interval, without wait for the last iteration to finish.
(this can be configured in the Run time setting -> pacing tab of Load
Runner).

So I think this can be useful for you and for anyone who need to run a
certain fixed load.
Without this option on JMeter we get the usual case where after certain load
the throughput gets lower instead of getting higher (response times getting
higher making the load test to generate less throughput).

Shmuel Krakower.