jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter 2.5 performance
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:23:48 GMT
On 30 August 2011 21:03, Robin D. Wilson <rwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sebb asked:
>
>>How do the average elapsed times compare?
>
> The average times are about 50% longer than with 2.4 - so where I was
> averaging ~1000ms for the 'submit' (POST) action, it is now showing about
> 1500 to 1750ms. (I am mostly concerned with the 'POST' because that's where
> all the real work occurs on our server side.)

Are all the methods equally affected?

>>Also what about min/max std.dev?
>
> Those varied a lot from one run to the next anyway - just because I've
> always been dealing with very short durations - but I did notice that the
> 'max' seemed to consistently read higher than my prior benchmarks - but only
> by 1-2 seconds (1000-2000ms). Given the variables in the system - that
> doesn't seem too outrageous to me.
>
>>The http sampler code was re-organised for 2.5; additional classes were
> added and there is another code layer,
>>but I'd be surprised if that had a significant effect.
>
> I wonder if that mattered - it sure appears to be making a big difference. I
> think I could re-work the script to use AJP (we're hitting 'tomcat' through
> an apache front-end right now - and our apache uses AJP), but I have no
> prior benchmarks to compare AJP with...

Not sure how that would help.

I find it hard to believe that the additional code used by the
samplers - I think it's just one extra level of indirection - could
cause the significantly different results you are seeing.

Does the jmeter.log file show anything relevant?