jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Shirish <shirish.ganje...@gmail.com>
Subject Diff between "Uniform Random Timer" and "Constant Timer"
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 09:46:58 GMT
Hello Friends,

I am working on a Automobile Web Product. My Product whenever there are lot
many loads at server and when server is not able to respond to any request
it creates a Heap Dump in logs folder at server side.
Performance Testing Requirement is to create different Thread Groups for
different functionalities and execute these thread groups with one user for
12 hrs.

In accordance to the requirement I created around 6 thread groups and
assigned one user to each TG. When I executed these TG's for 20 mins without
any timers i.e. "Uniform Random Timer" and "Constant Timer" then server just
got into the IDLE state and my Error % goes above 60.

But when I added a "Uniform Random Timer" with value 5000/10000/20000 to
Test Plan and Constant Timers between the Threads and ran it for
20mins/....8hrs it worked well and there was 0(zero) Error %.
Below are the screenshots of timers utilized.

with Constant Timer

Please tell me what does these timers are doing in my Test Plans? Does that
URTimer making sleep to each every thread group for 5000/10000/20000 or else
what? And what does this constant timers are doing are they waiting to
complete the specified time or else ?

Can we use Constant timers in between each thread request (whenever there is
a transition between web pages) or what should be the ideal practice so as
to make or thread requests for a particular time while executing?.

Awaiting for your attention and assistance.

Thanks,
Shirish G.