jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Felix Frank ...@mpexnet.de>
Subject Re: How to capture the Popups using jmeter
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:37:58 GMT
Hi,

On 08/05/2011 07:11 PM, Umesh wrote:
> Sreekiran,
>  As the way Deepak is saying, saving the file to local disk is client side
> activities and the response time for doing the same differs from system to
> system. So there is no point in doing the response time test for saving the
> file. (Eg: If you are downloading/saving the file in Pentium3 system and the
> latest I7 processor, the response times will be different. Reason being the
> horse power in two processor is different.)
>
>  The time taken to capture the pop-up with message saying "Do you want to
> Download or save the file" is a server side message and Jmeter should be
> able to capture that as its http call.
>
> *Saving of a file or opening of file in browser/client machine are both
> client side activities and fall outside the purview of performance testing.
>   *

I have to say that I disagree with almost everything written in this thread.

Yes, it can be worthwile to stress a system under test with downloads.
No, the performance does not depend on client hardware. It does,
however, depend on data throughput limitations both client and server side.

To the OP: You should be aware that "Clicking save" in your browser does
nothing wrt. the server. All you tell your browser is that, yes, it
should complete receiving the server's answer to the request that it
sent when the user clicked the download link.
Differently put, saving a file via HTTP is nothing else than receiving a
HTTP reply and writing the decoded reply to a local file.

What this boils down to is that you measure download performance just
the same as any other HTTP interaction with Jmeter, i.e. using a HTTP
sampler. Yes, the proxy will record downloads (because they are not
different from regular browsing).

HTH,
Felix