jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Speteanu <asp.ad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ramp-up
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:37:46 GMT
Hi,

The answer is NO for all 3 questions.

Rampup affects hits per second or throughput or how many requests your
jmeter makes to the application under test, but that it is not really its
purpose! Rampup affects how fast the test threads are created in memory. So
subsequently, it impacts how fast requests are made and how they
synchronize, especially in the beginning of the tests, because a thread that
is not started isn't going to make requests and when you will have all
threads started the number of requests increases (if the application can
handle as much).

If you want to see how is throughput affected, you should read about timers
and test with throughput = 1 at first (and a low number of threads).
Application response time also affects throughput, as 1 thread makes a
request, waits for the answer and only then can make one more request (and
also, one thread isn;t dirrectly affected by the action of the other
threads, it will make requests as soon as it is given the opportunity,
unless using timers). If you want to control the throughput the application
receives, check out the constant throughput timer (used with sharing mode on
all threads).

Regards,
Adrian S