jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: stress testing
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:33:12 GMT
>our site is running properly
before you write a script and before you attempt to interpret the results
you actually need to define what you mean by this

a. Functionally - if a single user carries out 'n' defined tasks and all
succeed then the site works otherwise it doesnt
b. If multiple users (upto the maximum that you support on the site) carry
out the same tasks (in whatever expected combination) and all succeed the
site works otherwise it doesnt
c. if multiple users browse the site carrying out a variety of tasks and the
site responds in X amount of time (or the 90th percentile) then the site
works otherwise it doesnt
.... More variations all specific to your application

Once you define these criteria , then you write your test. Then you see what
the results tell you.
So in your scenario you describe in your email - you say you have run the
test for 1 user (so really you arent doing any stress/load test - you are
doing some kind of functional test) . Then you seem to be accessing the home
page and enrolling in a course. Did you add an assertion that in fact the
user did get enrolled into the course - you should if you are performing
some functional test? Assuming you add it , the "site works" should be that
the Jmeter summary report shows a "0%' under error .

However what you are actually doing is whether your site works for an
anonymous user enrolling to a course - rather than your "site works"

regards
deepak