jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: load time much different between jmeter and browser
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:13:17 GMT
>Reading your answers, I've understood that jmeter results could be mached
only with other jmeter results. I that right?
Well not quite.
First access your webpage with say firefox with firebug enabled and observe
the NET tab in firebug. refresh the same page and again observe the NET tab.
You should notice that firefox requests the main page and then it starts
requesting the "embedded" resources --> css,images,javascript. Some of these
requests are being made in parallel. Some requests dont get made the second
time (because the browser has cached these resources) and some requests get
made by the browser but the status is returned as unmodified (i.e the server
just returns some headers not the actual content).

The same request in Jmeter is fine for the main page (there isn't much
difference between Jmeter and the browser) but the way that JMeter currently
makes requests for the "embedded" resources is in a single thread , with no
caching.  For the caching parts you could add the HTTP Cache Manager (but
how close it is to the browsers behavior is still an approximation. IE for
example has four options on how to check for modified versions -
"Automatically" , "Every visit to page","every time you start IE", "never" -
of which the jmeter cache probably approximates "every time you start IE".
But the download in parallel doesnt happen (I believe sebb has mentioned
this will be available in the next version). But even then sites these days
load images dynamically from javascript, use CSS which refers to images etc
etc and so the download embedded resources is not a very good approximation
of browser behavior (but it might work for you).

So if you uncheck the download embedded resources you should be able to
match JMeter's time with the browsers (using firebug to observe the time it
takes for the main page only). However if you want to now the response time
for the entire page  (Jmeter wont give you render time , javascript
execution time anyway)  then you need to figure out , if you like me are
happy to just guesstimate the value or you want more accurate (and more
complicated) tests.

regards
deeoaj