jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java heap space (out of memory)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:31:50 GMT
On 29 June 2011 23:10, Bruce Ide <flyingrhenquest@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could have just been the amount of memory it was given. I think java needs
> 512M just to load System.out.println ;-) Back in my day we wrote our print
> routines in assembly language and our professors would beat us severely if
> the executable was more than 2K!
>
> Seriously though, I don't know all the data that gets passed back to the
> service, but I usually find a 2gb heap size to be pretty comfy. I can still
> blow through it if I enable a tree results listener and start downloading
> gigabytes of requests from a server -- the results keep accumulating in the
> listener and never go away. But even for tests where I have to deal with
> some fairly hefty images, 2gb works pretty well for me.
>
> I had someone request that I do something with a 2gb file one time though,
> that was annoying. I looked at doing something with it in raw java, but
> every library I looked at to decode it wanted to load the whole thing into
> memory at once. I ended up just making them give me a smaller file to work
> with.

Huge CSV files can be loaded into listeners such as the Summary Report
without a problem.

Some work was done on enhancing the JMeter XML reader to process
samples on the fly, and I think large XML files are also now loadable.

Of course, if you try to use a listener which stores all the samples,
that will cause memory issues regardless of whether the the data is
CSV or XML.