jmeter-user mailing list archives

From jsheth <jsh...@src-solutions.com>
Subject RE: determining ramp-up period
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:16:55 GMT
HI,

Do not have a Throughput Controller  in my test script

From: sebb-2-2 [via JMeter]
[mailto:ml-node+4517382-1579059076-45749@n5.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:10 AM
To: Jeegnesh Sheth
Subject: Re: determining ramp-up period

On 23 June 2011 13:57, Barrie Treloar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 23 June 2011 11:06, Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> One has to really be careful with JMeter's threading model. It has
the potential to act as the bottleneck in your load test. I've seen a
few teams chasing all kinds of things in the app server when they really
needed to be looking at what was coming behind them. IMHO, a thread per
user is an easy model to grasp but is much easier to set yourself up for
failure. Case in point, and earlier suggestion that if the response
times are greater than the desired rate of arrival at the server, the
throughput will drop 'cos JMeter will simply not have enough threads to
trigger the request. Hence, the bottleneck in the system will be JMeter.
While some might argue that this is sill ok (and in a number of cases
it's not harmful), an event based model would be much more scalable and
less prone to this type of testing failure.. artificial throttling of
throughput.

>> If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that the
maximum
>> throughput for a single JMeter thread is limited by the response time

>> of the server, because JMeter waits for the sample to complete before

>> issuing the next request.
>>
>> Have I got it right?
>
> I think what he is saying is that if you have use a constant
> throughput controller set to say 10, i.e. 1 every 6 seconds,

He did not mention Constant Throughput Controller (which anyway does
not exist - I suspect you mean Constant Throughput Timer).

The CTT can have problems generating the correct delays under some
circumstances, but that is a different issue.

scribe_by_code&node=4512401&code=anNoZXRoQHNyYy1zb2x1dGlvbnMuY29tfDQ1MTI
0MDF8NTUxNTAwNjA2> .