jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Lloyd <oliver_ll...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Odd problem with performance of JMeter
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:09:13 GMT
Try this:

Thread Group - 1 user, 1 sec ramp, forever
---->Dummy Request, 1 sec response time
---------> Constant Throughput Timer, Active Thred Only, 10 reqs per minute

Like this you get 1 request every 6 seconds, nice and steady.

Now try this:

Thread Group - 1 user, 1 sec ramp, forever
---->Dummy RequestA, 1 sec response time
---------> Constant Throughput Timer, Active Thred Only, 10 reqs per minute
---->Dummy RequestB, 1 sec response time

Now you get 2 requests every 6 seconds. Bang, bang...6 seconds...bang, bang.

Or, like this:

Thread Group - 1 user, 1 sec ramp, forever
---->Dummy RequestA, 1 sec response time
---->Dummy RequestB, 1 sec response time
----> Constant Throughput Timer, Active Thred Only, 10 reqs per minute

This gives 1 request every 6 seconds, steadily. RequestA...6
secs...RequestB...6 secs...RequestA...etc.

See? It's actually very logical.

If I have a journey of requests - I generally do - then I put the CTT as the
child of one request and then use a normal timer(s) to spread my requests.
If I were to use another language I would say that the fixed timers like
Uniform Random Time are the same as 'Think Time' and that the CTT is the
same as 'Pacing'. You need to have both.

But no doubt, I had lot of confusion at first, it really demands that you
put effort into this little beast! But if you persevere it is totally
reliable and, for me, essential. I'm of that school of thought that believes
every load test has to start with a defined load target - even casual tests.
It's true you can do this with normal timers but the trouble there is as
soon as your response times change so does your load and then it's hard to
see what's going on.