jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Lloyd <oliver_ll...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Constant Throughput timer and using "Calculate throughput based on all active threads (shared)"
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:32:04 GMT
Hi Barrie,

I'm still new around here and can't directly answer your question but I ran
into a vaguely similar issue to the one you describe which might help you, I
found that the Shared mode (all active threads) was a bit of a non starter,
it seemed to me that using this option removed the ability to ramp up a load
as the test tried to reach the target throughput straight away.

Instead, by using the option 'this thread only' and then dividing the target
transactions per minute by the count of threads, I was able to achieve the
same throughput but not hammer the system at the get go.

I'm not really sure where the shared mode would be useful, I guess there are
probably cases, but for classic performance testing you need a ramp up and
therefore need to limit threads individually.

If anyone can correct me on that by the way I'm interested to hear, I didn't
really spend a long time playing around with it so perhaps I missed
something.