jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advice
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 02:12:10 GMT
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Felix Frank <ff@mpexnet.de> wrote:
[del]
>> What will I be using the User Defined Variable for? How will a
>> particular thread know which packets belong to it?
>
> In the UDV, you can assign an arbitrary value unique to each thread (you
> need not do this if you can take advantage of, say, the threadNum
> function, see
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__threadNum)
> or set of threads.

Beware of the small print
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Defined_Variables

"Note that all the UDV elements in a test plan - no matter where they
are - are processed at the start."

I recommend placing the UDVs at the start as well, so there is no confusion.
If you place them under thread groups it looks like the UDVs are
per-Group or pre-Component, which is not correct and will only cause
you grief.

Just bare this in mind when you start to develop the complexity of
your test plans.