jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Ide <flyingrhenqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting a varaiable on a thread group stopping
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 20:42:32 GMT
I usually set variables with a BSF sampler and groovy --
vars.put("variablename", "value");

Variables are thread local so if you're running more than one thread you'll
need a different strategy.

I always have to stop and think if I really want to do something as a thread
when I'm writing tests. They often make things much more complicated and a
lot of the time you can use a loop instead. You can group code into simple
controllers inside your loops, which make it easier to read at a high level.

If using threads is how you want (or need) to do it, I have a couple of
jmeter plugins for thread sync and (very) basic cross-thread data sharing at
https://github.com/FlyingRhenquest/ that might come in handy. If you're got
Jmeter 2.3.4 or 2.4 you should be able to install them by dropping the jar
files in  your jmeter lib/ext directory, or you can try to build them from
source if you want to.

My thread-sync plugin could be used to insure that your setup thread runs
prior to your test threads. If you have 3 test threads in different thread
groups, you could create a thread sync data element and set its starting
value to 3. Then you'd put a thread sync sampler at the start of  your test
threads and at the end of your setup thread. When it runs, the first two
threads will decrement the counter to 1 and go to sleep. When the setup
thread hits the sampler, it'll decrement to 0 and wake the sleeping threads.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com