jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reg: Installation of JMeter
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 14:17:09 GMT
On 3 May 2011 15:06, Shirish <shirish.ganjewar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I have been working with JMeter from last one month for a Product
> Development company. I am working with a team which develops a automobile
> product which will be a web application having at max 300 users
> simultaneously. I am working on Performance Testing with the help of JMeter
> in regards to this product. I have created small scripts and represented the
> analysis reports to my management. Now they want me to install the JMeter on
> Server where my Product is hosting/running.
>
> *I would like to know whether this is really good practice to install the
> JMeter on server side/run JMeter?*

It's not generally a good idea to run JMeter on the same host as the
target server.

For performance testing, the server should only run the production applications.
Adding other applications such as JMeter just reduces the resources
available to the production system.

For occasional functional tests, it may be OK to run JMeter on the
production system, but for performance testing it's generally best to
run JMeter (indeed any test application) on a different host,
otherwise the results may be affected by the test application.