jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Nutsch, Bob D." <bnut...@nd.gov>
Subject RE: Definition of Sample as used in Graph Results
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:43:52 GMT
Hello,

Thank you very much for your email, it's much appreciated!  I plan to try http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/TransactionsPerSecond,
thanks for sending me that.

I'll use the Graph Results listener for now until I get a chance to try the other listener.
 I am making multiple HTTP client requests within two separate thread groups, each looping
3 times, in my test.  When I graph the results I see something like 5000 milliseconds per
request when the number of samples shows 1000 and there are 60 threads.  As time goes on I
hit the maximum number of threads that I had set but the time per request continues to increases
as does the number of samples.

To map my results to the "real world" I'm thinking that if JMeter is showing 60 threads, 1000
samples, and 5000 milliseconds per request, JMeter is effectively emulating 60 people collectively
and concurrently making 1000 HTTP requests per 5 seconds?  After a few moments, if JMeter
is still showing 60 threads but now 1500 samples and 6000 milliseconds per request, that is
an emulation of 60 users now making 1500 HTTP requests per 6 seconds?

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: apc [mailto:apc@apc.kg]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 3:06 AM
To: jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Definition of Sample as used in Graph Results

Hi!

"Sample" is the result of every Sampler, for example if you have HTTP Request, it will provide
a Sample for each request it made.

Make note that Samples may be compound and contain a tree of sub-samples inside. Many Listeners
(and maybe Graph Results) treat them as independent samples also.

Maybe this graph will be less confusing for you:
http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/TransactionsPerSecond