jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Kirk <kirk.pepperd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory almost immediately after start
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:34:49 GMT
Hi Anthony,

Setting ms to mx is a tuning/configuration mistake in most cases. I have a blog entry that
explains this (Keep your hands off of the switches iirc)  and I've another one in the pipe
that very clearly exposes why you should rarely set mx == ms.

Java heap is taken from C heap. C heap is stacked on the back of stack space in Windows and
Linux. That means stack and text areas are fixed in size at startup. If by native memory you
are talking about C heap, then point taken. That said, most Java applications should not require
a lot of native space unless they are using direct byte buffers (aka the newest version of
EHCache) or objects that create structures in C heap (eg. file/socket descriptors).

> The fact that the 10th thread gets an error and thread creation is
> fine after that does sound like some sort of OS or Java bug as sebb
> mentioned.  Hopefully the parent can make sure that he is using the
> most recent JVM and see if the problem still occurs.

This is a strange one for sure. I'd be looking in the bug database to see whats going on.
One of the things that sometimes happens is that problems with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH case the
JVM to be constructed with the wrong versions of shared libraries. Though normally this causes
the JVM to core dump, I guess it could cause other (strange) behaviors in the JVM.

Regards,
Kirk