jmeter-user mailing list archives

From J.E.C.Brisland <j.e.c.brisl...@open.ac.uk>
Subject Populating a csv and reading a random column from it
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:55:58 GMT
Hi All,

Here is what I want to do. (Please bear with me... I have a hard time trying to put my thoughts
into words)

I have a whole bunch of forum discussions, and posts within those discussions.

What I want to do is populate a CSV with the id's of the discussions and posts information.

What I then want to do is have a thread in that is controlled with a throughput controller
to make new discussions or replys to current posts using a random id from either the posts
or discussions csv. (It will randomly either make a new post or reply to one that already
exists)

I did initially have a thread that looked at the discussions page, found a random discussion
using a regex, then found a random post within that discussion to make a reply to, but because
this was controlled by a throughput controller this made the process too slow.

>From what I can understand this is how the throughput controller works

I have 60 users in the reply thread group (ramping up one per second)

The first user fires a request to find a random discussion (1 of my 2 requests per minute)
During the next 30 seconds half of the user threads are fired up... they also go to do a request
to get a random discussion, but cannot because of the throughput controller.
Next one of the newly started user threads is able to make a request to find a random discussion

It seems to me that it is never able to get onto actually doing a posts as there are enough
users in this thread group to saturate it with just finding a discussion id / post id

Basically for me to control how many posts are made per second I have to have a dedicated
thread that just does the form posting, and another thread that gets the data and stores it
in a csv file so that the thread doing the form posting can get some random data out.

Here is the setup I currently have

Reply Thread Group
-- ThroughPut Controller - 2 per minute (all active threads in current thread group (shared))
-- Find Random Discussion (HTTP Request to main forum page w/regex to find discussion id)
-- Find Random Post (HTTP Request to discussion page w/regex to find post id)
-- View Random Post Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/regex to forum details like user
id, draft flag etc)
-- Post Reply Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/post data)

Here is the setup I think I need

Data Thread Group
-- ThroughPut Controller - 10 per minute (all active threads in current thread group (shared))
Loop through all discussions
Loop through all posts
Write data to CSV with discussion/post info for the Reply thread group to use

Reply Thread Group
-- ThroughPut Controller - 2 per minute (all active threads in current thread group (shared))
-- Post Reply Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/random post data from csv file)

I'm sorry that this is such a long email... I just wish I had someone in my workplace that
actually understood jMeter, instead of being the guinea pig trying to make scripts work.

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England
& Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).