jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test plan for (970 page requests every 5 min)
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:18:10 GMT
>If I exclude all resources then it wouldn't reflect the true new user
Correct, but you can always estimate this (and its simpler because you dont
have to run multiple tests to figure out new users/ returning users , users
with cache, without cache , with IE configured as every visit for page etc
etc ). Again my views are colored due to the fact that there is almost
always a separate webserver compared to the application so that the load on
the webserver really has no bearing to the load on the main application
(besides network bandwidth).

>When I browse through tabs, it doesn't rerecord all the resources.
Which is your browsers doing. It doesnt request those resources hence
nothing for the Proxy to record.

> Only the unique resources of some pages. I think such recording reflects
the true unique user
yes for a browser configured like yours.

>Too bad to hear that Jmeter can't do it.
You might as well be sad that your hammer cant turn screws. There are two
distinct varieties of test tools - Those that drive your browser (Selenium,
QTP, Watir etc) and those that simulate HTTP connections (loadrunner, Jmeter
, grinder). the former can tell you about accurate page load times etc for a
single user for the environment under test. Running multiple instances
usually means having multiple machines - and are really impractical for I
need to run 1000 unique users.
The latter can load/stress your environment but cant give you browser load
times. You need both to give you a accurate answer.

>Can you please explain here a little more? Let's say each Jmeter thread
>contains <u>50 requests</u> (all pages and all resources combined):
>Does Jmeter establish 50 concurrent connections?
No thats one concurrent connection. The number of Jmeter threads determines
concurrency.

>Do you mean "Retrieve All Embedded Resources from HTML Files" in HTTP Proxy
server? If not, which one you >mean?
The HTTP Sampler (in your test) will have a checkbox. I tend not to use this
for reasons I have already mentioned.