jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test plan for (970 page requests every 5 min)
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:06:38 GMT
On 11 September 2010 01:31, Prostak <strodion@gmail.com> wrote:

>>You give a rampup because you dont know whether your server can handle the
>>burst - you can give a rampup even if the server could handle the burst (so
>>give it irrespective).
>
> Ok. What is the sign that my server can't handle the burst? I don't even
> know what to look for... How do I tell?

If the server crashes, or generates abnormal errors then it has not
handled it well.
Or perhaps some samples take a very long time, whereas most don't.

It may well take longer to process some/all samples during the burst,
but if it recovers quickly when the load stabilises, then it is OK.

> Can you also please answer this question: Let's say I have 1000 samples in a
> thread group (no think times etc). Are all 1000 sent in 1 ms? Or are they
> sent one by one over a period of time? I am trying to understand Jmeter's
> logic.

JMeter sends a request to the server, and waits for the response.
It then proceeds to do the next item in the test plan.

There are some test elements that affect many or all threads (e.g.
synchronizing timer) but in the main, each thread runs independently.