jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Prostak <strod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test plan for (970 page requests every 5 min)
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:05:08 GMT

>Define average(IIS != apache, windows != apache, serving static pages !=
>serving dynamic pages, 4 cpu on server != 8 cpu on server, 8GB on server !=
>32 GB on server and so on). The term "handle" is also ambiguous. If a
server
>that normally responds in a couple of seconds now takes say 30 seconds
under
>load (but doesnt crash) - is it able to *handle* the load?

Everybody knows that the most common server is Apache. Same goes with other
data. There must be a most common configuration for the average size firm
(IIS, cpu, gb etc).

I am quoting you: "its usually used to protect the server from seeing a
burst that it might not be able to handle." That's why I am trying to figure
out what is the burst an average server can handle? Because if there was no
limit, you wouldn't say "its usually used to protect the server from seeing
a burst that it might not be able to handle." That means that you have some
number in your head. How many connections an average server can open at a
given time?

>Im not sure what you mean. If you are saying how many requests you can have
>in your test plan , I guess you are only limited by the amount of memory
you
>have on your client Jmeter machine . The server has no limit on how many
>requests a session can make.

I will try explain why I am asking it.
Let's say I have 1000 samples in a thread group (no think times etc). Are
all 1000 sent in 1 ms? Or are they sent one by one over a period of time?

My machine has 4GB RAM. How many samples it can handle (again rough
appx....assuming I have a browser and some basic staff running)?