jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Prostak <strod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test plan for (970 page requests every 5 min)
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:31:33 GMT

Thank you, Deepak, for the well thought and detailed reply.

>So a single user would in 5 minutes be able to make (5*60)/2 = 150 requests
> (Assuming zero think time).

I don’t quite understand your calculation. I browsed through our web site
and saw that each page requires from 44 to 78 requests (I used a firebug
with ctr f5). So let’s say each page on average generates 50 requests
(including all images, css etc.). If we assume that user views 2 pages a
minute, than a single user would generate 500 requests in 5 minutes (not 150
requests). Therefore it would take only 3 users (3 threads) to generate 1500
requests shown in my statistic report.

By the way, I checked and on average a page loads in around 6 seconds (fully
refreshed).

>In which case you'd increase the threads but put in a constant throughput
>timer so that you still see the same load.

How do I figure out the Target Throughput for the Constant Throughput Timer?

>Any number is fine , its usually used to protect the server from seeing a
>burst that it might not be able to handle. lets say the calculations above
>resulted in you having to test with 50 threads, but because of timers /
>delays etc it may turn out that any point of time the server only sees 20
>concurrent sockets. If you have no rampup then the server sees 50
>connections immediately which might cause your tests to get errors/ lower
>values than it should

Sorry, lost in terminology here. How can a thread generate only 1
connection? Each thread at least clicks on one page, which generates 50
requests on average (see above), therefore 50 connections (in my
understanding: 1 browser request = 1 server socket = 1 connection).

>There are a lot of transient variables (network bandwidth, application
>caches, one time static loading of classes , lazy loads by DB etc) due to
>which you shouldn't rely on a single loop. Any number that gives you
>confidence that the values you are getting are accurate (the numbers
>shouldnt wildly vary for the loops). Typically I have a run to eliminate
>some of these variables (my application uses a cache so first time hits
>result in slower db calls but next time the cache should be hit) and then
>run the actual tests.

Is there a Listener that gives you data for each loop?