jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recording of a script in jmeter
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:05:28 GMT
Here's the thing you need to know about JSessionID. Typically the (java
based web )server will send you the session id in the cookie . To cover for
the cases where the browser does not support cookies , the webserver also
supports what is called URL Rewriting - i.e. Rewrite the URL so that the
session id is in the URL. For the very first request that your browser makes
that the web server creates a session for , it has no way of knowing whether
your browser supports cookies or not (it can only come to know on the second
request when you send it back the cookie) - so typically a webserver will
output out both the set-cookie response header AND the session id in the
URL. Also a webserver can be configured to support just cookies, just url
rewriting or both.
Coming to your case, since you are seeing JSessionID in the URL your
webserver either supports only URL Rewriting or both. Using LiveHttpHeaders
and Firefox access your website and see if you get a Set-Cookie JSESSIONID ,
if you see this then your webserver supports both Cookies and URL Rewriting
in which case just add a cookie manager and IGNORE the value in the URL .
This is the simplest solution.
In the rare case that your webserver is configured to only support URL
Rewriting use
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_URL_Re-writing_Modifier
(this needs to apply to all http samplers) - Simply give the name and Check
the Path Extension box

Not the above applies to java based web servers specifically , but also
applies in the general case to most web servers (though not all of them use
the path extension format)
regards
deepak