jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: constant rate testing (again)
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:21:15 GMT
On 28 July 2010 08:13, Felix Frank <ff@mpexnet.de> wrote:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> all of the below is true and quite accurate. The trouble with Jmeter is
> that it is too "patient", and even starting 1000 threads or more won't
> inject the same level of stress to on your server as a couple hundred
> real world users would. That's because Jmeter will gladly stand by for
> minutes at a time. Finding your throughput plateau is fine and all, but
> it would be nice if I could wreck the webserver the same way a swarm of
> real users will.

What you appear to be saying is that real users will give up waiting
for a response if it takes too long, and resubmit the request.
Is this really how users behave? I would have expected them to do
something else, and try again later.

But if your users really do keep hitting the unresponsive server, then
by all means use timeouts.

Also consider adding an Assertion to fail any samples that take too long.

If the server does not respond sufficiently quickly under load, then
that is a problem that needs to be addressed.