jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Nagel <chrisnagelmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to control timing of test distribution?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:34:11 GMT
Hi,

For my first JMeter project, I've been asked to accomplish the following test
plan, but I am completely unsure if the tool can do it.

Here is the plan, in table format, which should look OK in fixed-width fonts:

<pre>
                      Max.   Txns Per Minute each 5-Minutes
Transaction           Users   05  10   15   20  25  30   Total
------------------    -----   --  --   --   --  --  --  ------
1. AutoPay              2      1   2    2    2   2   1  |  50
2. Credit card          4      1   2    3    4   3   2  |  75
3. Policy lookup       15      1   5   10   15  10   5  | 230
4. Billing Info        15      1   5   10   15  10   5  | 230
5. ACH                  2      1   2    2    2   2   1  |  50
         Total Transactions   25  80  135  190 135  70  | 635
</pre>

For each transaction, I've set up a thread group (5 total).  I have the Soap
requests working fine using data from CSV files.

My issue is setting up the throttle on threads/users and transactions so that
they ramp up and then down evenly according to the test "plan" in the table
above.

For example: #3 should perform 1 lookup per minute for the first 5 minutes, then
perform 5 lookups per minute until :10 minutes pass, at which point it should
perform 10 transactions per minute... etc.

If I were writing Java to do this, I'd:
    1. set up a 1-minute timer to fire
    2. for each transaction type
        3. get # transactions for the current minute
        4. fire them off

I've tried a Constant Throughput timer, but it only takes effect after the
threads are all ramped up, so basically it starts at the 20-minute rate (given a
15-thread group).

Is this type of a strictly controlled transaction distribution even possible
with JMeter?

Thanks in advance for your help!!  I look forward to learning more about this
amazing tool.

Regards,
Chris