jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Tony Anecito <adanec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AJAX Testing
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:10:08 GMT
Hi Deepak,

Loadrunner only supports specific versions of AJAX that is the issue. You never know what
a vendor will throw at you.

I am thinking of performance testing not functional.

Thanks,
-Tony

----- Original Message ----
From: Deepak Shetty <shettyd@gmail.com>
To: JMeter Users List <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wed, June 9, 2010 5:00:10 PM
Subject: Re: AJAX Testing

Hi
well not exactly.
An AJAX request is in the end an http request/response so yes JMeter can do
that, and you can perform basic functional and performance tests.

However Jmeter is not a browser and doesnt execute javascript and wont
behave like it , so some of the things that people would like to do (e.g. an
AJAX system that polls or responds to a user doing something like type half
a word in a textbox ) cant be directly mapped to JMeter  , though you'd
probably have workarounds. JMeter also doesnt do well(but can still work)
with dynamic systems like GWT whose outputted Javascript is a whole bunch of
gibberish that needs to be carefully extracted and worked with. JMeter /
Load Runner should have similar limits , the difference being that Jmeter
makes its far easier than Load runner to perform the same task. If you can
elaborate the problems you ran into with LoadRunner we could see if Jmeter
can deal with the same issue.

If your focus is a functional test then testing systems which drive the
browser Selenium/Watir/QTP are better options , imo , than JMeter.

regards
deepak