jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replay a recorded load using JMeter
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 10:30:32 GMT
On 12/05/2010, Gerrie K <gerrie.kimpen@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I'm trying to replay a sequence of HTTP requests that were logged/recorded
>  on our JBoss application server during a "real user"-based stress test. I've
>  created a custom Sampler that creates samples based on those HTTP logs. A
>  custom Timer delays the next sample based on the timestamps in the HTTP
>  logs.
>
>  I've added the custom Sampler/Timer to a Thread Group with one thread since
>  I need the requests to be replayed in the order that they were recorded.

Were the requests generated by a single user?

>  This setup works good except for one problem: my replay does not fire the
>  HTTP requests at a high enough rate (need same rate as during the stress
>  test) because the JMeter thread waits for the response of each HTTP request.

As does a real user.

>  Since the thread can't keep up with the tempo the delay of my Timer is
>  almost always 0 millis, so this is not the problem.

>  I've read this post:
>  http://old.nabble.com/A-very-Simple-Query-ts20768789.html#a20768789
>  But it does not solve my problem since the suggested solution does not
>  guarantee the ordered replay of the HTTP requests.
>
>  I can imagine that this not such an exotic requirement. Maybe someone has
>  already came up with a solution for this?

The Access Log Sampler goes some way towards providing this
functionality, however it does not currently divide requests between
threads according to the original session.

However, it might need quite a bit of work to implement that.
Patches (via Bugzilla) welcome.

==

Another possibility - if you don't have too many sessions - is to turn
the access log into a single CSV file for each session, and read each
using CSV Dataset. However this won't solve your strict ordering
requirement.

But in real-life, there is no such ordering between independent users.

I think I would use the information from the access logs to generate a
suitable test plan, and then generate the required load at the server
by increasing the number of threads and/or reducing the timers.